Post by Van Plexico on Nov 30, 2005 23:20:37 GMT -5
A bit of somewhat decent stuff, this month, actually. But, also, a bunch of places where I kept thinking, "Is something missing here? Are the panels out of order? Did the artist not get what Bendis wanted, here? Because it doesn't quite track..."
More yakking for pages and pages... but I liked the cool sequence of events on the Quinjet.
Actually, the yakking wasn't so bad-- Harada was pretty interesting, once Iron Man (thank you) easily took out the baddies (no kidding).
And everything after they got aboard the Quinjet was quite fun.
But, again-- it was all just hard to follow. The dialogue didn't always seem to match up from panel to panel, especially near the end. The final conversation with Ronin prior to the big reveal was nigh incomprehensible.
And another issue with nothing but ninja people on the cover. It's actually sort of funny-- we had several early covers where characters on the cover never appeared, or at least never did anything, inside the book. Now we've had ninjas on the cover of two of the last three issues, when the Avengers actually did fight. Sort of. I don't get it. *sigh*
Post by Adrian Watts on Dec 1, 2005 7:31:26 GMT -5
Van, are you feeling okay?
#13 bored me so much that I actually drifted from it to the Scientology FAQ (http://faq.scientology.org) without realising the change. And if you'd read the Scientology FAQ, you can understand why that comment is so profound...
I can't believe I've read it this long. I suspect, now, that we are going to get a real team of Avengers separate to the NA... thankfully, Marvel seems to have realised that they can make more money appealing to BENDIS! fans and BENDIS! nemeses at the same time.
I am very tired and have had an awful day. I will post my COHERENT thoughts tomorrow... but Van, I don't think being more awake will make your appreciation of even one word of the issue sicken me any less.
Post by Adrian J. Watts on Dec 1, 2005 23:24:08 GMT -5
So, my detailed thoughts:
1) Why do non-Americans always speak like Americans in BENDIS! books?
2) How can Echo respond to some of what Iron Man says but at other times needs Cap to repeat it for her?
3) What the hell happened on the quinjet? Were all the panels out of sequence? Did Jessica Drew press something? Did she just not stop Viper? What the hell?
4) Does Luke Cage have a language development disability?
5) Did Cap get dropped on his head and become brain damaged?
6) How can Iron Man not afford to fund the Avengers, but is funding the Avengers and offering to fund a new team?
7) Which dead friend said the Avengers weren't proactive enough? He said it before he died - cool, much easier than saying it after he died.
8) Did Spider-Man get dropped on his head and become retarded?
9) How is the Silver Samurai not dead when Kitty Pryde killed him about three months ago?
10) Why do the Avengers all of a sudden speak to Jarvis as though he is super-frail?
11) Why does Cap go from looking white to looking black to looking like a monkey and back to looking like every other male character drawn by Finch all in the space of seven pages?
58749084367439864) Why the hell is the whole d**n issue such a box of poop?
I am so done with NA. Anyone wants my copies of #1-13, just drop me an email. Bargain prices, mint condition. Can't believe I wasted so much money on this crap (and the two of you who know me from elsewhere know it takes a LOT for me to be so harsh).
Post by hawkeyearcher on Dec 3, 2005 23:05:53 GMT -5
I have to agree that New Avengers has not lived up to my expectations. What does it feel more like it's supposed to be Marvel Knights Avengers? And Ronin turns out to be Echo? I haven't read Daredevil for years now, but I can't imagine she's shown up enough for anyone to give a s$(t about her "joining" the New Avengers. Thankfully, Joe Q has hinted that there may be another Avengers team book on the horizon. Possibly a New West Coast Avengers? Maybe they can bring back Kurt for it!